One of the best things about the community foundation is that we provide an opportunity for people of all financial means to contribute in a meaningful way to the causes they care about. Through the foundation, gifts of many sizes and for many purposes join together for the greatest good. Depending on your philanthropic priorities and your financial situation you can direct your gift to an existing fund or create a new fund of your own. Learn more about the types of funds here.
TYPES OF FUNDS
This type of fund gives the community foundation the flexibility to support innovative programs, try new approaches, and apply grant money where it’s needed most–even as needs and priorities change through the years.
FIELD OF INTEREST FUND
This popular type of fund allows you to have an ongoing involvement in the way your gift is used. You’ll work with foundation staff to identify and review community needs, match them with your interests, then recommend grants to our board of trustees for distribution.
STEP BY STEP
- Call our office and set up a brief meeting
- We’ll discuss your charitable ideals and help you decide what kind of fund will best help you carry out your interests, identify the most appropriate form of asset to use in establishing your fund, and complete the paperwork (a short fund agreement that takes just a few minutes).
- You may use cash, appreciated stock, bonds, real estate, or other personal property to establish your fund. (To maximize your fund’s immediate impact and support its grantmaking potential, the foundation has established fund minimums that will be discussed during the initial meeting.)
- You select the type of fund and the name for your fund.
- Once the fund agreement is signed and the assets transferred, the process is complete and your fund is operational.
If you choose to create a Field of Interest Fund, the fund’s assets will be professionally invested and managed to grow over time.. We list funds in our annual report and on our website in the donors’ name, but if you prefer to remain anonymous, we’ll gladly abide by your wishes. You may add to your fund at any time and invite your friends and family who share your interests to do the same. It’s a great way to celebrate a birthday or honor a special event.